Safeguarding at Battledown
The Government* defines safeguarding as:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment to children’s health or development
- ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome.
At Battledown, staff are committed to creating and maintaining a safe learning environment for all our young people.
Headteacher, Nikki Teague is our Designated Safeguarding Lead and is supported by the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads, Leah Campbell, Jane Davis & Sarah Bell. The Safeguarding Governor is Steve Crowe.
All staff receive regular Child Protection mandatory training and are kept up to date with child protection procedures.
We take very seriously our responsibility to identify where there are child welfare concerns and take action to address them in partnership with other organisations. Early Help is a key part of our safeguarding strategy. Pupils are given numerous opportunities to consider risk situations and explore strategies for keeping safe, and staff are asked to remain vigilant and report any concerns to the designated teacher or any adult.
If family, friends or other professionals have any concerns they are advised to contact our DSLs via the school office on 01242 525472. In addition, advice and guidance can be sought from the Local Authority Designated Officer by emailing LADO@gloucestershire.gov.uk
*Keeping Children Safe in Education 2022, Department for Education
Early Help at Battledown
Support for family and young people is most effective when offered at the earliest or most opportune time. Battledown’s staff work with numerous agencies to offer help as quickly as possible.
Areas where we can help are:
- links to the School Nursing Service and wider health professionals
- information to support social inclusion and safeguarding
- working with charities and trusts to help families going through difficult times whether financial or emotional.
If you would like more information about any of our wider services please contact Sarah Bell on email@example.com or go to the Gloucestershire Family Information Services website
Please click here for more informationOur Family Support